American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey
Racial Justice Policy & Litigation Strategist
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey seeks applicants for a full-time position of Racial Justice Policy & Litigation Strategist. The Racial Justice Policy & Litigation Strategist leads the ACLU-NJ advocacy work on civil liberties and rights problems that disproportionately affect people of color.
The Racial Justice Program covers the areas of police practices, criminal justice policy, prison and jail conditions, voting rights, education, and immigration. This newly created position offers a tremendous opportunity for an individual with strong initiative and drive to help shape the ACLU-NJ’s advocacy and eliminate discriminatory policies and practices.
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey is a nonprofit membership organization devoted to defending and promoting civil rights and liberties. The ACLU-NJ has a staff of 14 who are assisted by numerous volunteers in our fast-paced and friendly downtown Newark office.
The duties of the Racial Justice Policy & Litigation Strategist include:
1. Develop and implement proactive strategies for the ACLU-NJ’s Racial Justice Program to advance civil liberties and rights in areas in which people of color are disproportionately affected including the criminal justice system, police practices, prison and jail conditions, immigration, voting rights and education.
2. Serve as lead attorney on Racial Justice advocacy and litigation. Plan and implement a proactive litigation strategy for Racial Justice.
3. Provide in-depth legislative and policy analysis on racial justice issues in New Jersey. Draft legislation and policy papers to improve New Jersey law in the Racial Justice arena. Monitor national trends in racial justice advocacy and assess potential for implementation in New Jersey.
4. Research data, conduct fact-finding and prepare reports regarding how certain policies disproportionately affect people of color.
5. Write and edit Racial Justice Program public education communications including press releases, web content, pamphlets, correspondence and any other written materials. Keep Racial Justice publications are accurate and up-to-date.
6. Supervise other Racial Justice program staff and interns and work collaboratively with all ACLU-NJ staff to optimize the impact of our work.
* Minimum 5 years combined litigation and policy experience, including at least one year supervisory experience
* Familiarity with New Jersey courts, state agencies, governmental structure
* Strong understanding of and commitment to civil liberties and racial justice
* Excellent organizational skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to motivate and interact effectively with people from different racial, social and economic backgrounds
* Experience with volunteer-based programs and managing volunteers
* Self-motivated, reliable, and skilled at working as part of a team
* Public speaking skills and experience
Compensation and Terms
The ACLU-NJ offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU-NJ compensation scale.
E-mail a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Job ID 9731M." Application materials sent via postal mail or fax will not be accepted. Resumes reviewed upon receipt. Position will remain open until the right person is found.
The ACLU-NJ is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey, P.O. Box 32159, Newark, NJ 07102